Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I Love the 80s!

Does Veggie Tales singing the 80s mean that I can now listen to 80s music in the car with the girls, without having to skip or speed up past certain songs or lyrics?

I love the 80s!!

Well, the 80s music anyway. I'll have to be the first to admit that the 80s fashion, which I am sure made perfect sense to us all at the time, was a bit much. There is only so much neon that the world can take before it implodes on itself, and I believe that we almost exceeded our limit during that one decade. That is without even mentioning the parachute pants, t-shirt ties, rolling up our jeans (don't look so funny, if you are even close to 30 you know that you did it too), side pony-tails, leggings under long shirts and sweaters, and mix matching everything.

Oh, wait, am I still describing the 80s or am I talking about now?

Wow-- that is a scary thought!

Taterbug adores the "new" clothes and the look that goes with them. I figure it is better than bell bottoms and peasant shirts. She also loves the music. The poor child has to, though, because after riding with me for MANY hours back and forth while we lived away from here, she was subjected to more 80s music than someone her age should be. Add that to the fact that there was an AWESOME 80s station in the city we lived, and yeah, the poor bug did not stand a chance.

I think the only part of the 80s that she does not understand at all is the men's hair styles.

We were looking through some of my sister's cds one day to see which ones I wanted to *cough*borrow*cough* for maybe an extended period of time *cough*months*cough*years*cough* when we saw one for the Labyrinth soundtrack. It had a picture of David Bowie on the front as Jareth, with his long, full, tall?, very big 80s style hair.

What did she say?

"Hey, mom, who is this ugly woman on this CD?"

After we covered the fact that even if someone is, um, homely, we should never call anyone ugly because that would hurt their feelings and we wouldn't want someone to treat us like that, my sister and I then had to explain to her that in the 80s guys just had really big, really long hair. She told us she didn't get it, and asked how could we tell who was a girl and who was a boy.

Yeah, you answer that to a (then) 5 year old.

Kids, gotta love 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment